Saturday, November 22, 2008

J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter

Not to long ago,the computer had a virus problem it was fixed and Firefox was installed thus replacing Opera and Netscape as the Browser and on my hike on Mt. St. Helena Greg and I were talking a little about Harry Potter. I have often voiced my opinion for the series and the series the talk until Twilight came along.Unlike Twilight,Harry Potter wasn't all bad. Why I put it as I did

Now honestly I used to have respect for J.K. Rowling's work,I actually didn't mind the Half-Blood Prince or Order of the Phoenix but the Prisoner of Azkaban and Deathly Hallows were atrocious.At first I decided Deathly Hallows wasn't that bad but then I read it again and decided ech! how did I convince myself it was ok?

Ok enough rambling.Oh and I'm critiquing the books not the movies


Harry Potter(J.K. Rowling)

Year(s):(1997-2007)
Publisher:Scholastic


Plot: 10/20 (Unlike Fablehaven which continued to have a good plot as my opinion went down,the plot got worse and worse in 1:It was catch the robber of an important stone which would help Voldemort[I guess that's a little bit like The Fellowship of the Stone,but that's good] 2: Save Ron's siter and stop Tom Riddle from coming to life[Quite original] 3: Help a framed guy[where's Voldemort huh? that's very unoriginal] 4: Find out how you got into a death tournament[Ech! getting worse] 5: Find out about Sirius' past and become a secret teacher to stop a bratty teacher [Sounds more like Harry Potter quality] 6: Stop Malfoy from killing Dumbledore [Unoriginal but well written] 7: Traverse through the forest to kill Voldemort and dawdle aorund doing nothing but complain [Oh please what kind of crap is this!]so as you can see the plot slowly drains to nothing)

Characters: 17/20 (Except for Harry and Hermione,most of the characters seem human and realistic. Hermione starts off as a stuck- up nerd but softens up,at the same time she looses a certain muggle gift:Common Sense(Asm would sometimes say "Why couldn't Hermione just shoot Voldemort in the head with a gun I mean Voldemort wouldn't expect that,and why didn't she think of that"[or at least something that implies that],Ron is my favorite character I like how he is smart,a little cocky,funny, and the jealous type,Malfoy is a good rival,Dumbledore was the perfect wise-person who had a dark side[Why J.K. Rowling made him gay idk why,it's not that I hate gays it's just I never imagined him to be gay and I think J.K. Rowling liked the attention,Ginny was so-so)

Setting:20/20(I love the descriptions of everything,well except the forest roamed in 7,the Dark Forest,Hogwarts,Privet Drive,Hogsmeade,Diagon Alley,the Chamber of Secrets,I could go on)

Writing:11/20(Ok the first 2 had 18/20 and 19/20,the 3rd and,4th had 15/20,the 5th and 6th,13/20,the 7th 0/20,so I can give the writing a respectable score,the final book had 200 pages in the forest dawdling the other part was Neville pleaing for help at Hogwarts,I found they were all written prettty well except that one)

Final:15/20(Harry Potter wasn't actually as bad as Asm says not remotley the series was ok until JK Rowling let the fame go to her head,the series overall is great,some of the books simply failed,I enjoyed the majority of them unlike the movies)

Up Next

Chonologically:Firefox and Independence Day(1996)(Dual-Purpose)
Books: C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia



No comments: