Thursday, November 20, 2008

Mario and Luigi:Partners in Time and Mario Hoops 3-On-3

Well it's about time I reviewed some video games. I thought I'd review some Nintendo DS I've good times with. Here we go and I'll review em' in the order I encountered them.


Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time(Nintendo DS)

Year: 2005
Developer:AlphaDream
Publisher:Nintendo

I first came across this game at Leffler's house he had 2 new games one was Super Princess Peach (16/20) and this one.I beat Super Princess Peach in one sitting and moved onto this one. I was quite impressed with it

Plot: 14/20 (Not my kind of plot time traveling has been used in video games such as Chrono Trigger for SNES and Sonic CD(20/20) for SEGA CD and Princess Peach is always a damsel except once in Super Princess Peach and sports games.However combine them both add a plot to replace the Mushroom Kingdom with Shroobs and you've got a pretty kickass plot. Not to mention working with your baby selves.Still time traveling is not very original for a series of originalness)

Concept: 20/20 (Basically you work wth your baby selves and do all sorts of cool moves. the babies form a ball and Mario and Luigi can Spin Jump to name a few, and you can solve a lot of puzzles)

Graphics:18/20 (Practically all good graphics for 2005 in 2D but I've still seen better offerings,namely Kirby Canvass Curse and Advance Wars: Dual Strike still the Shroobs and the Marios look good,the Luigis well maybe the green coulda' used a bit of work)

Levels:10/20 (The levels coulda' used a bit of work,Toad Town sucked as did that beginning level,Vim Factory was cool,Thowmp Volcano was noce but mostly unimpressive and leaving much to be desired)

Challenge: 19/20 (That game was hard,the Vim Factory was a nightmare, defeating Yoob was even harder, the firs level was intense, and it kept me busy....until Lefller gave it away to his friend claiming he had nightmares of Shroobs and I haven't been able to find it again)

Music: 9/20 (Leaves too much to be desired,I didn't like it)

Final:16/20(A pretty damn solid RPG,narrowly beating out Superstar Saga,but not quite comparable Legend of the Seven Stars for SNES,the levels and music coulda' used a bit of work but hey for someone who's picky about RPG's this one goes)

Mario Hoops 3-on-3(Nintendo DS)

Year:2006
Developer: Square Enix
Publisher:Nintendo



Unlike White Men Can't Jump,this is actually a good basketball game and good video game.Anyway I remember hearing much about it I wanted it for Christmas along with Yoshi's Island DS(20/20) and being the good guy I eventually got it.It was a bit of a let down for a Mario sports game(In the same league as Mario Tennis and Mario Golf).Still it wasn't atrocious.I enjoyed for quite a while,then I beat it,lent it out to a pal at school never saw it again,claims to have returned but I'm not inclined to believe so,oh well I beat it anyway.

There is no plot I'l go straight to concept

Concept: 20/20 (Basically Mario and co. join up with Final Fantasy characters to play some basketball,with item boxes and and special moves it gets even better,my personal favorite was Diddy Kong and his Jet Shot with a Freezie item.Oh and you were on a team of 3)

Character Score:20/20 (I like the character selection,unlike Sonic R there is variety not clones and it has cool Final Fantasy characters like Moogle or Cactuar.I personally being codenamed as Diddy Kong Lover on Wii's World obviously use Diddy Kong when I can.This is also one of the few games Bowser Jr, and Dixie Kong both appear in,it buigs me why she isn't in Mario Kart Wii or Super Smash Bros. Brawl)

Graphics: 20/20 (At DS' 3D best,these graphics make Super Mario 64 DS' graphics look dated and that was the graphic marvel for quite some time)

Challenge:4/20 (Terrible easily worse than Super Princess Peach,but it was fun while it lasted)

Courts: 20/20(I liked most of courts,my favorite was Wario Factory where you could pick up Bomb-ombs and throw them at opponents)

Battle:12/20(Mediocre at best honestly I prefered the battle without the basketball where you gather items and send them over to opponents,like Mario Kart only without the kart.Dribble Race was terrible)

Music:11/20(Very mediocre,but Luigi's Mansion was pretty good much better than the court itself)

Final:14/20(I'm sorry but it was too easy,the battle didn't feel finished and the music left a bit to be desired,it deserves a sequel,certainly playable Square and Nintendo simply coulda' added more to it)

Up Next

Chronologically: Harry Potter (Books)
Video Games: Wave Race 64

No comments: