Friday, August 08, 2008

Super Mario 3D reviews

A month ago I compared them,but I didn't give a score.On the other hand I intended to do a movie review of"The Pacifier". I think I'll make this dual purpose

First of all the Mario Kart 64 is a perfect 20/20 not 19/20 and Super Mario Kart is actually 19/20 not 17/20.


Anyway I'll start of with the 3D Mario's


Super Mario 64

Platform: Nintendo 64(For less confusion I'll do 64 but I give DS the same because it's almost the same plus more stars and levels,but odd controls)

Year:1996

Innovativeness:20/20(The idea of turning a 2D-linear platform series to a 3D-exploration series is superb nd few other series have pulled it off[Sonic anyone])

Graphics: 18/20(I love the graphics but you can tell alot of tricks are pulled to make it look smooth like Gourad shading for Mario and the trees are 2D,but still  for 1996 that was almost top of the line[NiGHTs sometimes looked better though])

Concept: 20/20(Basically Peach has been taken prisoner in her own castle and you must rescue her and foil Bowser's plan[this is like the original plot turned 3D,but at least the rewad is better] and you must traverse through many,many worlds collecting power stars and gaining power-ups[Metal is my favorrite])

Levels:20/20 (I love the world line up,you start off in a grass land where litttle Bomb-Ombs are at war with each other and you go throught ons of others[like Lethal Lava Land and Snowman's which is my favorite course])

Challenge:20/20 (This game kept me busy for years,DS only took me 6 months though at first,stars like Red Hot Log Rolling and Tricky Trinagles kept me at it)

Music: 20/20 (This is either the best video game music or among the best I've heard,if Koiji Kondo's work hasn't becomea symphony in some part of the world,there is no justice; if you're gonna play a challenging video game,it might as well be easy listening)

Final: 20/20

Now onto GameCube hit............

Super Mario Sunshine

Platform:Nintendo GameCube

Year:2002

Innovativeness:17/20(Though not as innovative as its buddies,it has FLUDD who can do many tricks and the idea of Yoshi and Squid-surfing could be better but,it's still very innovative)

Graphics: 20/20(I love the lighting and smoothness with no easily seen tricks,it looks like an early Wii game,certainly Xbox quality. The hotel looks a little bit too much like a Hotel)

Concept: 20/20 (Basically you're Mario and you've been frammed for vandalism,while the clone perpetrator has kidnapped Princess Peach,you must travesre throughout the island in search of the perpetrator(Shadow Mario) and Peach with the help of your handy water robot FLUDD)

Levels: 18/20 (You start off in at  a little windmill village where a huge monster has polluted the lake and the roads from the Biggest widmill, and from there on you face many levels[I liked Noki Bay the cliff level and Pinna Park the Theme Park level,but I miss the Ice lvels and the Sand levels)

Challenge: 20/20( This is certainly challeging,I got through half the game hands down and thought WHAT???? But then I got stuck at all sorts of difficult ones,it only looks easy,the boss was too-easy though)

Music: 19/20( It doesn't uite have 64's charm but I love em' none the less,the Sand Bird theme and Nokis Bay's Underwater Kingdom theme especially.They're all excellent and fun to listen to.If I had them on my iPod I'd listen to them all the time[same with 64])

Final:19/20

Now onto handheld......

New Super Mario Bros.

Platform:Nintendo DS

Year:2006

Innovativeness: 19/20(The idea of a 2.5D game of from 3D/2D games was an excellent idea,not as well pulled off as Galaxy's idea though)

Graphics: 20/20 (It looks a bit like Super Mario 64,without  the tricks but considering it's handheld that's top-notch)

Concept: 20/20 (Basically Bowser and Bowser Jr. have kidnapped Peach and Mario must rescue her,this ime he goes through 2.5D worlds)

Levels:16/20(I'm sorry but they seem to linear without much exploration and plus I'm biased about the whole 3D,2D thing. I do like World 1  and World 6 though)

Challenge:20/20(Most challenging Mario game ever)

Music: 15/20 (The music took the lowest nose-dive,it's still good but honestly something's fishy about it)

Final: 17/20


Finally onto space exploring,motion sensing........

Super Mario Galaxy

Platform:Wii

Year:2007

Innovativeness:20/20(The idea of not just turning 3D graphics into 2D platforming like the DS game,but blending 2D gameplay onto a 3D plane with 3D graphics)

Graphics: 17/20 ( The graphics dissappointed me too much,Mario looks whiter than sour cream and it looks like Sunshine with better lighting,no glitches though)

Concept:20/20 (Peach has been kidnapped by Bowser and Bowser Jr., and Mario or LUIGI????? ,must go into the depths of space to rescue her you land inside a Comet observatory where you go into looking ares andfloat o many Galaxies)

Levels: 20/20 (I loved the levels,they were like 64 totally original with even new ideas like Sweet Sweet Galaxy,too bad you start off in a Galaxy of just grass)

Challenge: 15/20(It was too easy for a Mario game,but still hard.I beat in about 3 days)

Music:17/20 (It fared better than New Mario Bros. but it's still overrated.The music is nice,but it's not Mario style. It's orchestrated and would make fantastic orchestra pieces but let's face it. It's like the President holding a gala because his kid just gt toilet trained or having feast because your ex just died(King Henry actually did that))

Final:17/20

and now for the movie

The Pacifier

Presentation:15/20 (I didn't like the presentation,it seemed too kiddie)

Plot:20/20 (Know-all,Handle-all,Hardcore NAVY-SEAL Shane Wolf is sent to watch over a family for a month while the Admiral works on cracking GHOST's code.GHOST's is a microchip that could stop nuclear missiles from working,if rendered into North Korea's hands could do major damage,could this be Wolf's hardest task???)

Diesel's Role: 20/20 (Vin Diesel is always in action movies this is nothing short,he plays Lieutenant Shane Wolf the hard-core"My Way or the High Way" character)

Set:16/20 (A little off,at least it didn't look to much like a studio)

Execution: 18/20(It was fairly well executed,a little corny though but oh well,it was alright)

Final:18/20









No comments: